The Barcroft Medical Practice, Barcroft Medical Centre, Amesbury, Wiltshire, SP4 7DLTel: 01980 623983
The Doctor will issue repeat prescriptions for patients on long term medication and indicate how often you should come for review.
If you need a repeat prescription, please give as much notice as possible. If you are asking for your medication early because you are going away on holiday, please remember to tell us.
Subject to necessary reviews we will always provide repeat prescriptions from the practice within 2 working days. However, any prescription requests received after 4 pm will not be processed until the following day.
The pharmacy will also need time to issue your drugs.
Requests for repeat prescriptions are accepted in person at reception, by post or you can order your repeats using our online service. Please only order the medicines you require.
Please note we will not provide repeat prescriptions over the telephone.
You may ask for your repeat prescription to be collected by an Amesbury or Durrington pharmacy. Please ensure that this is clearly indicated when requesting your prescription and allow sufficient time for collection.
We have had increasing concerns about the safety and reliability of the managed repeat prescription service run by Boots and Lloyds Chemists. As of 1 January 2017, we will no longer accept prescription requests via this service.
We do offer the facility to manage your prescription requests online, if you wish to register for this service, please speak to a member of the reception team.
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs). The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
From 1 April 2018, the charges are:
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC. The charge for a single prescription item is £8.80, whereas a three month PPC will cost you £29.10 and a 12 month PPC £104.00.
If you are purchasing a 12 month prepayment certificate you can also spread this cost over 10 months by paying by direct debit.
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website
We encourage patients to self care, when treatments are available to purchase over the counter (OTC) and/or considered to be medicines of limited clinical value. The following list of medicines is freely available to purchase OTC or considered to have limited clinical value:
Head lice treatment
· Wet combing is recommended
· Lotions/shampoos and combs available to purchase OTC
· Available to purchase OTC for chicken pox or sunburn
· We only prescribe for photodermatoses as per clinical guidelines
· We only prescribe for disabling palmar hyperhidrosis.
· Available to purchase OTC for other conditions
Antifungal skin creams and powders
· Available to purchase OTC
Cold sore CREAMS / OINTMENTS
Treatment for bites and stings
· We only prescribe for known allergies to bites and stings and for children under 1
Warts and verrucae
· We only prescribe (or offer cryotherapy) for sexual health or genita-urinary indications and diabetes.
Eye, ear, nose and throat
Decongestant nasal sprays
· We discourage long term use as can lead to rebound symptoms
Lozenges / oral sprays / mouthwash / teething gels
Toothpaste and gingivitis treatments
· We will refer you to your dentist or advise of products available purchase OTC
Painkillers for adults – paracetamol, aspirin 300mg, ibuprofen and co-codamol 8/500mg
· We do not prescribe acute supplies.
· You will need to have a swallowing assessment if liquid versions required
· There is no clinical evidence for the use of expectorants and demulcents
· We only prescribe for chronic bowel conditions.
· Available to purchase OTC for acute episodes if required
· You can however purchase from us
· Travel medicine is not an NHS provision.
· Infacol is available to purchase OTC
· Colief is available to purchase for lactose intolerance
Vitamin supplements and tonics
· We only prescribe for alcohol excess (thiamine and vitamin B), proven vitamin D deficiency, BMI < 18 and for specific medical conditions, e.g. gastric surgery
· Available to purchase OTC.
· We only prescribe for children aged 6 months to 2 years
Folic acid and vitamin supplements for pregnancy
· We only prescribe 5mg dose if clinically required.
· Available to purchase OTC at 400mcg dose
This list has been approved by the Medicine Management team at Wiltshire CCG
Copyright 2006 - 2018 My Surgery Website | Privacy & Usage | Edit | Staff Home | Site Map | Accessibility | Site T&C's | Service T&C's